Geelong Hockey Association
The Geelong Hockey Association supports the local hockey clubs in Geelong, Bellarine Peninsula & the Surf Coast. The Association provides a supportive platform for the sport in the region. If you’re new to Geelong, or have thought about taking up hockey as a sport, you’re sure to find a club or ground near you.
Geelong Hockey Association also provides a pathway to participate at higher levels for players and officials, with Hockey Geelong Sharks teams participating in the Hockey Victoria metropolitan competitions. This pathway also brings the opportunity for selection in Regional, State and National representative teams.
Hookin2Hockey is an introductory skills program, available for players aged between 5 and 10. Hin2H is a great program to introduce your child to the sport and it is run year round by clubs around Geelong.
In summer contact your club to find out what teams and Hin2H programs are available for you or your child.
The winter hockey season runs from April through to September. The Geelong Hockey Association local competition has divisions for people of all ages and experience:
- U8, U10, U12, U14 and U17. Age groups for junior teams are taken at January 1 of the current year. All junior competitions are mixed teams, with boys and girls in the same team.
- Division 1 and 2 men’s and women’s teams
Hockey Victoria Metropolitan Competitions
Each year the Hockey Geelong Sharks teams compete in the Hockey Victoria Junior and Senior competitions to represent Hockey Geelong:
- U14 and U16 boys and girls | Friday nights
- Men’s Premier League and Premier League Reserve | Weekends
- Women’s Premier League and Premier League Reserve | Weekends
- Men’s Pennant C | Weekends
- Women’s Development Team in Geelong Hockey Association local competition | Weekends
- Masters men 50+ | Wednesday nights
Home games are played at Stead Park
Summer hockey runs from October to February, with a break over the Christmas/ January period. Summer hockey is a more relaxed social format with mixed teams played on half field. It’s an ideal time for beginners to try the game. There are competitions for:
- U8, U10, U12, U14 and U17
- Senior mixed
- Masters mixed (35+)
- Friday family teams
Awards and Honours
The Association recognises the time and effort individuals put into the sport, whether they are a player or umpire. Annual awards include the Best and Fairest Players in the senior divisions, John Stephenson Junior Hockey award, Most Improved Umpire and the President’s award.