Return To Hockey UpdateMay 12, 2020
The relaxation of community restrictions announced by the Victorian Government and Health authorities on May 11 gives us great hope of seeing a return to the hockey field in the 2020 season.
The community restrictions will allow groups of 10 people to train together, as from 11.59 pm on May 12. However, the finer details of this arrangement are yet to be confirmed. Hockey Victoria is consulting with government and health authorities to arrive at more detailed guidelines as to how this can be managed for hockey.
Read this letter from Hockey Victoria for more details Return to sport HV May 2020
Hockey Geelong will wait on further information from Hockey Victoria before resuming activities and opening Stead Park for use. Stay tuned for more information next week.
Factors to be considered when training is permitted to resume include:
- 10 people in what area – 10/ half field?
- separate entry and exit points to Stead Park
- provision of hand sanitiser and/ or hand washing facilities at entry and exit points
- participants to arrive, train and leave promptly
- hygienic use of equipment which is usually shared – balls, cones, face masks, bibs
- limited use of change rooms and toilets
- no social gatherings
- no canteen facilities
- limited number of non-participants
- strict social distancing for non-participants
The most likely starting date for a 2020 season is July 18. A meeting of the Competition Committee will be held (via Zoom) on June 10 to consider the possible format for the season. The options for the season include:
- 10 week season, finishing in September
- 13 week season, finishing in October
- 17 week season, finishing in November
- modifications to finals series – 2 week series, or no finals at all and Premiership is awarded to team finishing on top of the ladder (as is currently done for our U10 competition).
- playing during school holidays for junior competition
- playing 2 games in the one week e.g. play a match instead of training
Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome. Please contact your club or email Hockey Geelong.