Senior Summer Hockey StartNovember 10, 2020
Team entries are now open for the 2020/2021 Geelong Hockey Association Senior and Masters Summer Hockey competitions.
The Last Step of the Coronavirus Roadmap for Re-opening includes the return of contact sport for adults. Anticipating that this step will be confirmed on November 22, this will allow the commencement of summer hockey competitions for senior players, although with 9 weeks of play it will be a shorter season than usual.
The competitions will begin on November 25/26, with 4 rounds before Christmas and a further 5 rounds in January/ February. The competitions are half-field for mixed teams with 7 players per team. Each team will be responsible for supplying an umpire as rostered.
Competitions available are:
- Senior Mixed – Stead Park, John St, Corio. 6.30 to 8.30 pm. Players must be aged at least 14 at July 1, 2020.
- Masters Mixed – Stead Park, John St, Corio. 6.30 to 7.30 pm. Players must be aged at least 35 at July 1, 2020.
Rules of the GHA Summer competition can be found here
Note: as COVID regulations do not permit the sharing of equipment e.g. face masks, short corners will not be played for this summer season. A long corner will be played whenever a short corner would normally be awarded.
Hockey Victoria and Hockey Australia Membership
For individual players who have registered and paid Hockey Victoria and Hockey Australia membership during the 2020 winter season, there is no need to pay this again until January 1, 2021.
Those who have not already paid the Hockey Victoria/ Hockey Australia fee during 2020 must pay the COVID Summer Levy. All players except those aged 8 and under must pay this levy before playing in a match. The fee of $12 provides personal accident insurance cover until 31/12/20. Check with your club for details.
Team Entries Due
Team entries should be submitted by 6 pm on Saturday November 21. All teams must be entered or auspiced via an affiliated club or school in order to ensure adequate liability cover.
New Players Welcome
If you are available to umpire, please let us know.
COVID Safety Rules
All participants are expected to comply with the GHA Return to Hockey Guidelines SP and the HV Return to Hockey Guidelines
Please note the following important points:
- Wash your hands regularly and use the hand sanitiser provided.
- Do not share equipment or water bottles.
- ‘Participant bubble’ concept – keep teams and coaches together for training and matches, meaning that players should only play for a single team and that coaches should only coach a single team to prevent any potential cross-infection among different teams.
- Participants are permitted to umpire one game and play in another but when umpiring should maintain their distance from the participants and not gather with the teams or groups of players.
- Games may take place with the number of players plus the necessary coaches and umpires.
- Players and officials should wear face masks at all times when not actually participating in a game, e.g. when entering the venue or when warming up.
- Spectators are not permitted unless they are supervising children or supporting a participant with additional needs. If spectators are present, they must wear a face mask and should not gather in groups of more than 10 people.
COVID reporting and attendance records
For COVID reporting reasons, every person who enters the venue must record their attendance. This will be done via a QR code, which will be displayed at the entrance to Stead Park.
Make sure that you bring your phone with you. On scanning the QR code, HV registered members will be asked for their username and password. Once you have entered these credentials, you will be checked-in. Check out again on leaving the venue.
HV non-members/ guests can scan the QR code and enter their name and contact details, but do not need to check out on leaving.