GHA Committee for 2021December 10, 2020
Congratulations to the members elected to the Geelong Hockey Association Executive Committee at the Annual Meeting on December 9. The Committee will guide the growth and development of hockey in Geelong for the 2020/ 2021 year.
President: Alan Climpson
Secretary: Peter Stuart
Committee members: Daniel Glenn, Stuart Lucas, Emmaline Shand
Vacancies exist for the position of Vice-President and 2 Committee member positions. The Executive Committee now has the power to co-opt members to fill the vacancies. If you would like to be part of the Committee and drive the growth of hockey in Geelong, please contact either Alan Climpson or Peter Stuart.
The President extended thanks to the GHA staff, Joyce Climpson and Gordon Burns, for their work to keep the Association activities going during the 2020 COVID pandemic. Thanks also to the 2019/ 2020 Committee and the affiliated clubs for their participation, help and support. Their adaptation to the needs of the situation in a very challenging year has seen the Geelong Hockey Association survive the year fairly well.
Financial management was especially challenging, with limited ability to raise revenue due to the drop in participation and lack of competition. The receipt of Job Keeper payments and COVID support grants from State and Federal Government was greatly appreciated, allowing us to survive the 66% drop in income. Thanks to Joe Crosbie and Ian Sayers for working through these challenges.
Despite the lack of competition and match participation, there were many things achieved behind the scenes. The Secretary outlined some of the highlights:
- frequent consultation with City of Greater Geelong and Hockey Victoria to manage the COVID pandemic and keep our members safe
- improved dissemination of information to clubs and players via the GHA website and social media
- update approved to the GHA Rules regarding liquor licencing, to fit with requirements of the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation
- revision to the GHA Liquor licence for Stead Park, with some more flexible conditions of operation
- work commenced on the GHA Strategic Plan Pillars, particularly Membership Growth, Communications, Succession Planning and Community
- cost savings in insurance on the pavilion at Stead Park
- continuing cohesion and co-operation of members and committees using Zoom to facilitate meetings
Bring On 2021
Priority focus areas for the Association and for the Executive Committee for 2020/ 2021 will include:
- Membership Growth – clubs are asked to encourage and inspire members who participated in 2019 and 2020 to return to play in 2021.
The conduct of Hockey Roadshows in local primary schools will be facilitated by Hockey Victoria, with assistance from local members, from February 15 to 19. It is anticipated that this week of school sessions could demonstrate our sport to over 600 children, with an invitation extended to further participation in a Hookin2Hockey program.
- Facilities – preparing and progressing plans for replacing the surface of Pitch 1, plus potential improvements to aid the hosting of events such as Victorian Senior Women’s Country Championships, June 12 to 14
- Communications – furthering the distribution of information and promotion of hockey in Geelong
- Grants and Fundraising – preparing shovel ready plans for projects which may attract grants or sponsorship to support them
- Succession Planning – continue transferring GHA records and information to cloud storage to facilitate the transfer of information from one committee to the next
- Community – using Instagram and other social media platforms to share stories of the people and events which are part of the Geelong Hockey Association
- Competition – increasing the number of teams participating in a variety of competitions, providing the opportunity for anyone to participate regardless of experience, age or skill level
If you have any ideas or suggestions relevant to these topics, or any other, please let us know.