State Country OpportunitiesMarch 8, 2021
Hockey Victoria have created a new position, the Hockey Victoria Country Rep Coordinator. The aim of the appointment is to foster participation in Victorian Country teams, and provide greater opportunities for country hockey players to develop their skills and challenge for selection.
Mick Gulson is the appointee. He will be in charge of preparation across the men’s and women’s programs, particularly as we build toward the Championships at Albany, WA in August.
This gives country hockey players an opportunity to represent your state doing what you love. With this initiative, Hockey Victoria aims to improve the experience for country players and give country Victoria a greater chance of success.
The program includes 4 Regional Zone Development Days, run by Vic Country men’s and women’s coaches, and current and past players. Participation is free.
- Shepparton (North East) March 13
- Bendigo (North West) March 14
- Churchill (South East) March 21
- Ballarat (South West) March 28
The Zone Development Days will involve:
- 1 hr specific skills session run by past Country players, open to everyone from U15 zone teams or over 15 yrs of age.
- 2 hr clinic with past Country players for any player aged 16 or over (open invitation to all regional coaches to observe and participate)
- Lunch break meet and greet hosted by regions
- Men’s and Women’s practice games combining past Country players with invited prospective players
Approx. 15 prospective players from each region will be invited to be involved in the practice matches. These sessions will also assist in identifying potential Hockey Victoria Country talent that will be invited along to Country State trials.
Geelong Hockey Association players are in the fortunate position of being considered regional, and eligible for Country teams, while also being included in Metropolitan zone teams such as the Western Wildcats.
Enquiries: Mick Gulson – Country Rep Coordinator
Phone 0408 145 752, Email email@example.com