2022 Grand Finals – What a Great Day!September 11, 2022
The 2022 Grand Finals have now all been played and won, and congratulations to all the teams who participated. The high standard of play in all the matches provided the crowd of spectators with some exciting and nerve wracking moments, and finished with jubilation and pride for many. The closeness of the matches was a testament to the efforts of all the players.
The friendly interaction and camaraderie between members of opposing teams after the game was again evident, and is a valued feature of the Geelong hockey community.
Geelong Jaguars d Newtown Strikers 1-0.
U10 Mixed – Demonstration match
The match between the U10 Premiers, Newtown Strikers, and the U10 Runners Up, Newtown Spirit, finished 1-1, in a fitting end to a great game.
Torquay d Newtown Rebels 1-0
Newtown Strikers d Kardinia 3-2 in extra time.
Division 2 Women
Geelong d Saints Red 4-1
Player of the Grand Final – Sophie Medlin (Geelong Jaguars)
D2 Women Best and Fairest 2022 – Alison Kooloos (Saints Red)
Division 1 Men
Torquay d Saints Black 4-3
Player of the Grand Final – Brayden Caldow (Saints Black)
D1 Men Best and Fairest 2022 – Will Seymour (Saints Black)
Division 1 Women
Torquay d Geelong 3-0
Player of the Grand Final – Amber Bowey (Torquay)
D1 Women Best and Fairest 2022 – Alex Hardisty (Newtown Falcons)
Division 2 Men
Newtown Falcons d Torquay Tornadoes 7-6 after extra time and penalty shootout.
Player of the Grand Final – Basyl Jalil (Newtown Falcons)
D2 Men Best and Fairest 2022 – Joint Winners – George Palicko (Golden Plains) and Carl Jennings (Newtown Falcons)
And then there were the awards!
Nominations for the award were received for Angus Ayerbe, Tucker Kooloos and Mitchell Quick.
Congratulations to the award winner, Tucker Kooloos, who was presented with his award by Craig Stephenson and Greg Stephenson.
Life membership of the Geelong Hockey Association may be granted to anyone who has rendered distinguished or special service to the Geelong Hockey Association.
Peter Stuart, President of the Geelong Hockey Association was pleased to announce that Life Membership has been granted to Pam Sutton (Geelong Hockey Club) and to Peter Smith (Corio Hockey Club) in recognition of their services to the Geelong Hockey Association.
Congratulations to Matt Cherry (Saints Hockey Club) and Pam Sutton (Geelong Hockey Club) who have been inducted into the Geelong Hockey Association Hall of Fame.
There are lots of thank yous due to a great many people who have contributed to the 2022 season. Here are just a few of them.
- Thanks to all the people who got out their whistles and volunteered to umpire during the season. Thanks to all the umpires who officiated on Grand Final Day, with huge thanks to Jonah McKinnon and Tom Molyneux who both umpired three games for the day.
- Thanks to all the players, coaches, team managers, supporters and administrators from all clubs.
- Thanks to Nette Williams for overseeing the ordering of trophies and medals again.
- Thanks to Deb and Denis O’Shannessy for volunteering their time to clean the pavilion each week.
- Grateful thanks to the Stuart family – Peter, Chris and Ainsley, who have kept the canteen going during the season on a voluntary basis. This repesents a huge time commitment on their part and a significant financial saving for the Geelong Hockey Association.